Bur Oak Land Trust Board Members help fulfill its mission of advancing biodiversity in eastern Iowa by protecting resilient landscapes and connecting people to nature.
The Board of Directors is composed of unpaid volunteers from the community that are passionate about the Trust’s mission. Guidance and expertise from the board is critical in the organization’s long-term strategic planning and financial stability.
The board meets monthly with in-person meetings held on the fourth Monday of the month. Members serve for three years with the option to serve two consecutive terms.
Positions have been filled for the upcoming board term beginning July 2023. We will continue to accept applications for future consideration.
Board member responsibilities:
- Attend monthly board meetings and other organizational activities and events. Review board packet materials ahead of meetings and fully participate in discussions.
- Actively serve on at least one board committee.
- Financial literacy is necessary to understand the Trust’s financial statements and to otherwise help the board fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities.
- Leverage personal relationships to assist the development committee and staff in identifying and soliciting donors.
- Make an annual personal financial contribution to the Trust.
- Represent Bur Oak Land Trust in the community and advocate for the Trust’s mission, programs, and services. Identify future board members.
- Knowledge or expertise in nonprofit organizations or land transactions is favorable, but not required.